It was on a trip to Melbourne a couple of years back I stumbled on the wonderland that is Tessuti fabrics. For weeks I had been looking for the perfect quilt to match the crochet blanket I had made but had frustratingly come up with nothing that was just right. That was until I spotted the wall of Liberty of course! At that point I had no idea what I was doing, but with a little help from my trusty iPhone and the ever patient staff at Tessuti I was on my way with my haul of Liberty.
At that point I had hardly touched a sewing machine since high school, though thanks to Pinterest I had some idea of what to do. As luck would have it, my Grandmother had generously given me her sewing machine a few months before hand, and after taking some time to clean and oil it I was on my way!
The quilt is made up of 5 1/2 inch squares, with the cushion made in 1/4 square triangles. I used Liberty fabrics for both the front and back of this quilt, and for those of you with a keen eye you may notice I orientated the pattern sideways, as the intention is for the quilt to be able to be used across the foot of Miss O’s bed when she moves out of her cot. I used bamboo/cotton batting on both the quilt and cushion, and bound the quilt using Mokuba fold over stretch binding. To tie the project together with the blanket I had already crocheted I then went back to Tessuti in Sydney where I found the perfect fabric for the job, a stunning Missoni knit.
Whilst it was an expensive gamble for a first project I still to this day smile every time I make Miss O’s bed, and the quality of the materials mean that despite the amount of washing the poor quilt has been through in it’s life so far it still looks as good as the day I made it. And anyhow you can’t put a price on a family heirloom.